The articles and papers in this section have been written over a period of many years. They are arranged in broad categories that have interested me throughout my academic career. Some of the items appeared earlier as posts, but have since been revised or combined into longer essays.
Culture and Religion
- Each of Us (pdf) “Connecting Classic Worship and Popular Culture”
- Living by Old Texts How Mainline Christians, Muslims, and Mormons interpret ancient texts in the modern world
- Lord’s Supper-Last Supper Looking Again at New Testament Texts (Study Guide)
- Liturgy and Free Church Renewal by Word and Sacrament (first published in 1962)
- An Order of Holy Communion An essay, liturgy for Holy Communion, and symposium by an ecumenical panel of scholars (first published in 1963)
- Adaptability in Worship An Ancient Solution to a Modern Conundrum (2001)
- Beautiful Feast of Life Review essay on Saving Paradise by Rita Nakashima Brock and Rebecca Ann Parker
- Rereading Baillie “A Compelling Story for Life in the World Today”
- Fluid (Online) Classically Christian and at the Same Time Liberal
- Pastoral Leadership Pastoral Leadership for Congregational Vitality (from Encounter 1993)
- Religious Vitality in a Liberal Church Responding to Evangelical vs. Liberal” by James K. Wellman, Jr.
- Shepherd-Towards ” “Towards a Definition of the Church’s Liturgy”
- The COCU Liturgy of 1968 “A Model for Christian Celebration”
- A Proposal Toward the Reunion of Christ’s Church The Celebrated Sermon by Eugene Carson Blake and Response by James A. Pike
- The Disciples Vision of a United Church “Essential Catholicity” is the central theme of this paper written in 2001.